Many of us would like to make the switch to a totally green and organic home, but are limited by the high cost of green cleaning products. By making your own green cleaning products, it’s easy to keep your house spotless and free of chemicals. All you need are these five simple household items to make your own green cleaner for almost everything in the home.
- Distilled Vinegar- Vinegar is the king of green cleaners. Vinegar kills most bacterias and molds, wipes out odors and makes surfaces shine.
- Liquid Castile Soap- What vinegar can’t clean, a good castile soap like Dr Bronner’s can. A little bit of liquid castile soap mixed with water is perfect for cleaning dishes, marble, floors and even yourself!
- Baking Soda- Baking soda wipes out odors and makes the perfect whitener or scouring agent for any surface. Sprinkle baking soda on a stinky rug or inside shoes, and smells disappear. Mix baking soda with vinegar and make your whole house shine.
- Essential Oils- Adding a few drops of tea tree or lemon essential oils not only makes your house smell fresh and clean, but it also adds a powerful antibacterial punch to any cleaner.
- Cleaning Rags- Green cleaning isn’t just about what you clean with, it’s also about how your cleaning impacts the world. No matter what kind of cleaner you use, you can save money and the world by switching from paper towels to cleaning rags. Either purchase a few microfiber cleaning rags, or rip up some old t-shirts or towels to make your own cleaning rags.
Green cleaning doesn’t mean choosing between your values and your wallet. Make 2013 the year you start making your own all natural green cleaning products.